Autoglym Leinster franchisees to retire after 15 successful years - franchise for sale
- Name: Ted & Karen Gaffney (Leinster Autocare Limited)
- Location: Summerhill, Meath
- Franchise: Autoglym
- Date launched the franchise: March 2006
Tell us a bit about yourself and what you were doing prior to buying your Autoglym franchise?
Ted was in the gas business as a distributor for Ergas and then Flogas for 30 years. Karen was Purchasing & Facilities Manager for Ryanair having served 18 years in various roles. We both have a huge interest in rallying and cars
Why did you decide to go down the franchise route?
We saw an advertisement that the franchise for Leinster was for sale, and we wrote to Autoglym showing our interest. We had both been using Autoglym products for cleaning our cars, vans and trucks and knew that it was a good quality product.
Why did you choose autocare industry? And ultimately an Autoglym franchise?
We were looking to buy Autoglym professional products and saw the franchise for Leinster was for sale. This sparked our interest because we knew we could sell it and knew so many people in the motor industry that we felt we could really grow the business in Ireland
Why have you decided to sell your business?
When we bought the franchise, we had a 10 year plan. We have now been in the business for 15 years! It is time for the next expansion in Ireland and more vans on the road are required. We have decided to retire, and this will allow the new franchisee to take up this opportunity.
What’s the key selling points of your business?
- It is recognised in the trade as being one of the best vehicle cleaning products on the market
- It is easy to use and cost effective
- We get told everyday by people how good it
- We have a strong and growing customer base throughout Ireland
What support should the new franchisee expect to receive?
We will do whatever we can to give a strong handover because we want the new Franchise to succeed.
The support of Autoglym behind you will be your strength along with consistently good products and new developments all the time. Superior training facilities for all new Franchises with sales training and product training. Autoglym has a team of Technical Services Specialists whose knowledge is unrivalled in the market
The laboratory and technical facilities in Autoglym are legendary and are at the cutting edge of technology.
What are the other benefits of buying a resale?
- Buying into a well-established business
- Buying into a well-known and respected brand leader
- Having an existing and growing customer base
What is a typical day for you as a franchisee?
Every day is differen:
- Organising and overseeing everything in the business.
- Correspondence with customers.
- Stock control, credit control, warehouse operations, vehicle maintenance, valeting training schedules, logistics of van fleet.
- And much more
Has becoming a franchisee changed your life, if so how?
Yes it has, we have grown in confidence. We never thought that we would run a company with a turnover of over €1m each year. We have met so many lovely people all over Ireland and have seen the most beautiful cars in garages all over the place. It will be a sad day for us when retire because we love what we do.
What is the most invaluable piece of advice you could give someone looking to buy their first franchise?
Trust in your Franchise Manager. They have done it before with many Franchisees and can guide you. They want you to succeed as much as you do so you are on a winner already.
If you are creating a company name. Try not to make it area specific in case your area grows beyond that boundary
Be brave when you ask the bank for funding. Cashflow is king as you start and if you can get strong funding to allow for expansion you will ensure that you have covered yourself.
- In your opinion, what makes a successful franchisee?
- Someone who is willing to put in the hours.
- Someone who will be consistent for the customers
- Someone who is honest and fair as they build their reputation of trust
- Someone who likes what they are doing and believes in the product that they are selling